This is good, quick white bread, perfect for sandwiches if you execute it skillfully.
One loaf (about 1 lb).
|1 cup||warm water|
|1 tbsp||brown sugar|
|2½ - 3 cups||all-purpose flour|
1. Spray bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat water to 100° to 120° in microwave. (If water is too hot, you'll kill the yeast.) Add sugar and yeast, stir with wisk. Verify that the yeast kicks off creating froth while you continue the recipe.
3. In mixer bowl, add 2½ cups flour, the salt, honey and oil.
4. If the yeast has proved itself in the water with the sugar, pour it into the mixer bowl and stir together adding scant amounts of flour until it just pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Using a stand mixer (or elbow grease), mix the dough. If by hand, give up and begin kneading for 5 minutes.
5. Fashion a loaf and put it into the loaf pan. Allow it to almost double.
6. Preheat oven to 350° Don't do this so late that the loaf reaches double before the oven is ready. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes.
Add ¾ cups uncooked oatmeal and only about 2½ cups of flour in step 3. In step 6, brush top with beaten egg and sprinkle additional rolled oat flakes on top.