From The Healthy Gluten-free Life. If you want a vanilla layer cake, see notes in recipe for that. Can be used for upside-down cake for pears, apples or plums. It's a good, heavy cake.
Makes 12 cakes.
|⅓ cup||teff flour|
|⅓ cup||millet flour|
|⅓ cup||sorghum flour|
|⅓ cup||potato starch|
|3 tbsp||tapioca starch|
|¾ tsp||xanthan gum|
|1½ tsp||baking powder|
|½ tsp||baking soda|
|¾ tsp||sea salt|
|⅓ cup||non-dairy butter*|
|¾ cup||evaporated cane juice|
|½ cup||coconut oil, melted|
|2 tbsp||vanilla extract|
|1 tbsp||baking powder (for applesauce)|
|⅓ cup||unsweeten applesauce|
|½ cup||warm water|
1. Wisk dry ingredients together.
2. In large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and coconut oil.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Mix baking powder with applesauce and add to bowl. Blend all until combined.
5. Fold in dry ingredients ½ cup at a time until fully incorporated.
6. Add in warm water until the batter is the consistency of traditional cake batter. If too dry, add more water.
7. Mix at high speed for 1 minute.
8. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners. Fill liners to ¾ full. For layer cake, fill parchment-lined and greased cake pan to ¾ full.
9. Bake at 350° for 14-15 minutes, for later cake, 45 minutes, or until top(s) is(are) golden and spring back when touched.
10. Frost with vanilla or chocolate buttercream frosting if desired.
* Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks.