America's Test Kitchen. Excellant served warm, then used sans additional seasoning in sandwiches.
|6 lb||pork butt, boneless, with fat cap|
|3 tsp||fennel seed|
|1 cup||fresh rosemary|
|1 cup||fresh thyme|
|½ cup||olive oil|
1. Make paste of herbs an olive oil.
2. Cross-hatch the fat cap. Split roast into two along the grain and slash both roasts horizontally deep. Place fat-side down.
3. Season with Kosher salt all except fat cap. Rub with paste, in slits and on sides. Tie with string. Coat fat cap with salt, pepper and baking soda.
4. Refrigerate 24 hours with no cover (to lose some moisture).
5. In a roasting pan covered with foil, roast fat-side down at 325° until internal temperature of 180° reached.
6. Increase oven to 500°.
7. Pour off liquid from roasting pan to use for gravy. Fold foil to cover bottom of roasting pan to protect against fat burning on the pan. Return pork to the pan and roast to 190° or about 20-30 minutes.
8. Remove pan from oven and roasts from pan to cutting board. Tent and allow to rest 20 minutes. Carve into ½" slices ready to serve.